Tuesday, October 18, 2011


Digital Series Speaker Profile: Marty Weintraub


Marty Weintraub
Author of "Killer Facebook Ads" and CEO of aimClear®

Marty kicks off another exciting MN AMA Digital Series with his keynote presentation "36 Ways to Make more Social Media Friends Who Matter" on 10/24 at Rojo Mexican Grill.

What is most exciting to you about the field of marketing today?
I love emergent technologies that allow marketers to target users based on their intrinsic characteristics. From deeply rooted predictions to the music people prefer, platforms like Facebook, LinkedIn, StumbleUpon, Twitter, blogs and forums make it possible to identify users based on documented engagement, and target them by paid and organic methods. My fascination culminated with a Wiley Sybex book book about Facebook Ads.

"Paid" means Facebook Ads, LinkedIn Ads, Paid Stumbles, YouTube ads and other channels' advertising programs. "Organic" means community management, reaching out and the systematic identification of authority users to target for engagement by various models.  Either way, it's a brave new world where cool marketers make forever-friends by giving and...actually being friendly.
Who or what has been the biggest influence on your career?
So far as the "who" goes, my favorite industry sage is Chris Sherman. He's a true futurist and one of the wheels behind SMX conferences. If you ever get a chance to attend and SMX conference, don't miss it. Danny Sullivan (Executive Editor of SearchEngineLand.con), Rand Fishkin (Braintrust and founder of SEOmoz), and Barry Schwartz (
SearchEngineRoundTable.com) are my favorite bloggers in the business. My mom and dad were huge influences, as well.

So far as the "what" goes, my time at Berklee college of music was a huge deal for me. Though the first 25 years of my career were as a musician, the impact of my Berklee education looms large every day.
What are the top 3 resources you turn to for information to keeps you current in your field of marketing?
I read the DailySearchCap in SearchEngineLand every day, without fail and have for years.  Barry Schwartz is Executive News Editor of SEL and does a bang up job. Twitter is an awesome resource for staying current. Check out my Twitter profile and follow who I do. You can't go wrong. I go to a lot of conferences. I love SES, SMX, MediaPost SearchInsiderSummit, International Search Summit, and a numberof others.
What book are you reading now?
A Lapsed Anarchist's Approach to Building a Great Business, These management principles are from Zingerman's, a flagship Ann Arbor deli that does about 30 million a year between their businesses. The book includes an explanation of the “Twelve Natural Laws of Building a Great Business” and Writing and Using Guiding Principles” Zingerman’s co-founder Ari Weinzweig offers up eighteen fascinating "secrets" that help companies like aimClear grow. I am again listening to the audio book, "Good To Great" by Jim Collins. I love this book and revisit it every couple of years.
What do you think is the biggest challenge facing marketers today?
It's challenge that things move so quickly. It  takes me between 1-2 hours every night to study the trades' to stay current. If not aimClear could lose its edge. Fortunately now we have a staff of research artists to keep us current. Still, I study every night...and I mean every night.
What do you like to do in your free time?
Wine and food. Then I switch to food and wine. I also love canoeing in the BWCA, fishing, hiking and working out

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment